Pipe Fitter – Mechanical
Posted: November 30, 2017
Skilled Labor – Trades
Location: Riverview, FL
Employment Type: Full Time
Education: High School
Manage Others: No
Required Travel: Not Specified
Possesses a broad background in installing and repairing a wide array of piping systems involving a various pipe material types including but not limited to carbon steel, stainless steel, HDPE, and PVC. Skilled at the handling and effective use of manually operated and power tools associated with the pipe fitting trades. Regularly works near moving mobile equipment and in outside conditions that include inclement weather. Works under the direction of the Project Foreman, Project Superintendent, Project Manager and/or others assigned by Moretrench management.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Lays out, assembles, installs, and maintains pipe systems, pipe supports, and related hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, and industrial production and processing systems, applying knowledge of system operation, and following blueprints: Selects type and size of pipe, and related materials and equipment, such as supports, hangers, and hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications.
- Inspects work site to determine presence of obstructions and to ascertain that holes cut for pipe will not cause structural weakness.
- Plans installation or repair to avoid obstructions and to avoid interfering with activities of other workers.
- Cuts pipe, using saws, pipe cutter, hammer and chisel, cutting torch, and pipe cutting machine.
- Threads pipe, using pipe threading machine.
- Bends pipe, using pipe bending tools and pipe bending machine.
- Assembles and installs variety of metal and nonmetal pipes, tubes, and fittings, including iron, steel, copper, and plastic.
- Connects pipes, using threaded, caulked, soldered, brazed, fused, or cemented joints, and handtools.
- Secures pipes to structure with brackets, clamps, and hangers, using handtools and power tools.
- Installs and maintains hydraulic and pneumatic components of machines and equipment, such as pumps and cylinders, using handtools.
- Installs and maintains refrigeration and air-conditioning systems, including compressors, pumps, meters, pneumatic and hydraulic controls, and piping, using handtools and power tools, and following specifications and blueprints.
- Increases pressure in pipe system and observes connected pressure gauge to test system for leaks.
- May weld pipe supports to structural steel members.
- May observe production machines in assigned area of manufacturing facility to detect machinery malfunctions.
- May operate machinery to verify repair.
- May modify programs of automated machinery, such as robots and conveyors, to change motion and speed of machine, using teach pendant, control panel, or keyboard and display screen of robot controller and programmable controller.
- May be designated Steam Fitter when installing piping systems that must withstand high pressure.
- May be designated according to type of system installed as Pipe Fitter, Ammonia; Pipe Fitter, Fire-Sprinkler Systems; Pipe Fitter, Gas Pipe; or type of piping used as Pipe Fitter, Plastic Pipe; Pipe Fitter, Soft Copper.
- May be designated: Airdox Fitter; Freight-Air-Brake Fitter; Instrument Fitter; Maintainer, Sewer-And-Waterworks; Pipe Fitter, Maintenance; Pipe Fitter, Welding; Pneumatic-Tube Fitter; Sprinkler-And-Irrigation-System Installer; Tuyere Fitter.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid and appropriate state driver’s license prior to employment.
- Adhere to OSHA safety requirements. Wear mandated protective equipment and clothing.
- Complete and pass all training requirements and attend all safety training programs as required.
- Exercise the right, responsibility, and obligation to stop work when knowledgeable of job hazards.
- All employees are expected to adhere to the safety policies of Moretrench and the clients for whom we work. Following the safety policies of Moretrench Environmental Services, Inc. is a condition of employment and is everyone’s responsibility.